Once I started getting some traffic to my blog, I wanted to add a bit of advertising to it to generate some cash flow. But I didn’t want Adsense ads or another ad platform where I couldn’t control what type of ads were shown.
I only want ads here that are for businesses and products that I endorse.
It took a bit of searching, but I found the perfect solution: the Ad Squares Widget!
The result is a 4×4 block of ads that includes ONLY businesses that you endorse or approve.
The step by step for adding Ad Squares to your blog:
- Install the Ad Squares Widget plugin from your WordPress Dashboard. Activate the plugin.
- From your Appearance menu, click Widgets. Add the Ad Squares Widget to your sidebar where you would like it to appear.
- Copy the sample code to Notepad (or another HTML editing software; DO NOT use MS Word).
- Find or create a 125×125 pixel image for the ad. Upload it to the Media library of your WordPress installation using the “Add New” button. Copy the “File URL”.
- Paste the File URL into the sample code in place of “http://www.yourblog.com/wp-content/uploads/image.jpg”
- Find the correct link that you want to send your visitors to when they click the ad. This will normally contain your affiliate ID and you can find it in your affiliate account for the business or product. Copy the code.
- Paste that code into the sample code in place of “http://www.youraffiliateproduct.com”
- Add “Alternate Text to Display”
- Copy the sample code from Notepad that now contains all of the information for your ad.
- Under Appearance on your WordPress dashboard, click Widgets. Open the Ad Squares Widget and copy the code into the correct box for the ad you want to create.
- Change “Randomly Shuffle Positions” to yes to display the ads in random order.
- Click Save.
- You are done! You now have ads for endorsed products and businesses on your blog.
If the product or program you want to promote doesn’t provide you with the code to use for your ad (or if you want to create ads to promote your own products), here’s some sample code for you to copy:
<a href="http://www.youraffiliateproduct.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://www.yourblog.com/wp-content/uploads/image.jpg" alt="Alternate Text to Display" border="3" /></a>
With this plugin, you are free to add links to any product that you’d like to promote from anywhere on the web.