Yes, I know its July and the middle of summer, but now is the time to plan your holiday promotions. There’s only 153 days until Christmas…..
Many people will be online looking for holiday gift giving ideas and suggestions, so why not help them out and get a bit of extra traffic to your site at the same time.
To make your gift promotion work:
- Consider your blog reader. Who is she? What would she LOVE to receive as a gift? Or who does she need help buying for? For instance, if your blog is for Work at Home Moms, you could write one post with suggestions for gifts for husbands/dads and one with ideas for teenagers. No matter what your niche, your readers are human and give gifts to other humans.
- Find 5-10 appropriate gifts to promote. You don’t want to create a long list of recommendations – it’s too overwhelming. You want your reader to be able to scan your post quickly and choose one or more links to explore. Make sure the gifts you choose would be ones that you’d love to receive or would be comfortable giving.
- Create your content early. The holidays will be here before you know it and the closer to the season it gets, the more demands you’ll have on your time. Make sure you have something to promote by getting your content done early.
- Include a Call to Action at the end of your post to remind your readers to shop early to save money on shipping (or to take advantage of a limited time offer).
- Promote your post. Having your content done early allows you to better plan your promotion: Use social media, incoming links, article marketing, SEO, and any other marketing methods you employ.
You can do just one holiday promotion or several. It’s up to you. If you want to do several, here are a few ideas for multiple promotions:
- Multiple gift suggestion posts. Focus on different types of gifts or gifts for different types of people.
- Limited time offer posts. Find the best deals on the products your readers want most and publish a list of them.
- Cyber Monday. Write a post specifically to be published on Cyber Monday (the Monday following Thanksgiving) to take advantage of the increased web traffic that day.
- Last minute gift ideas. Feature sites offering free, expedited shipping.
If your site isn’t ecommerce, you can create a list of links to other sites that sell the gifts. Its okay to use an affiliate link (Amazon has a great affiliate program) as a way to make a few dollars from the items you promote. If you do, put a notice at the bottom or your post (or in your Terms of Service) that indicates the fact that you do get compensated when people purchase your recommendations.
Don’t be afraid to promote things that you don’t get paid for. Not every link needs to pay you back! Promoting things based on their usefulness to your audience first and foremost will help your readers trust you more in the long run.
Take advantage of the upcoming holiday season and plan a holiday promotion (or two). If you need some help figuring out what types of gifts to promote to your audience, post your niche and website address in the comments; I’d be glad to help you with a couple of suggestions.