When you are building a website for your business, the task can feel overwhelming: Finding a host, choosing a URL, writing the content. There’s one more piece that every website should have: an opt-in box.
But what is an opt-in box? An opt-in box collects name and email address from web visitors on a voluntary basis (they have to opt to join in). There is often a gift given in exchange for this information in the form of an opt-in gift.
And what can an opt-in box do for your business?
Let me answer that by describing the general pattern that a person (let’s call him Bob) takes when purchasing online:
- Bob’s dog is constantly getting out of his fenced yard. This creates a dangerous situation for the dog as Bob lives on a busy street. He’s frustrated and wants to find a solution (It’s the pain that drives people to find solutions, not pleasure).
- Bob uses Search Engines to explore topics like: how to escape-proof a fence, what motivates dogs to escape, how to entertain dogs.
- Bob becomes educated about what it will take to keep his dog inside his fence.
- Based on this new information, Bob implements some changes to his fence. But his dog still escapes.
- Bob’s ongoing frustration drives him to purchase the help of a professional dog trainer.
- Bob returns to the Internet to locate a local dog trainer.
- The purchase is made.
If you offer great solutions to the problems your clients face, your site will likely be one of those that Bob references in his search, one of hundreds. How do you make sure that Bob returns to your site when he is ready to purchase?
With an opt-in box.
Bob, in his search for information about his dog’s behavior issues, is highly interested in information that will help him. If you provide that information in the form of an opt-in gift — something that directly addresses part of the problem that brought him to your site — you will prompt him to give you his contact information. (You can find some of the free gifts available on this website under “books” in the menu bar.)
His contact information allows you to stay in touch with him and continue the conversation you started when he first visited your site. It also allows you and your business to remain top of mind, so that when he is finally ready to make a purchase, it is your business that he thinks of.